How to Get Reimbursed for Medical Expenses Under a Domestic Relations Decree

Many divorces or dissolutions provide that medical, dental, optical and psychological expenses are to be shared by the parents after the first $100 per child per year is spent (the first $100 is generally the responsibility of the residential parent). Sometimes parties are less than cooperative with each other, and a person may have difficulty getting reimbursement for expenses from their co-parent.

In order to seek redress from the Court under this scenario, a parent must be able to demonstrate that a proper claim for reimbursement (or demand for payment) was made to the person from whom reimbursement is sought. The claim or demand should include an itemization of expenses, and a breakdown of the responsible person’s share of the expense. The Montgomery County Ohio Domestic Relations Court has a form that must be submitted to the responsible parent for reimbursement of medical expenses, along with copies of all bills, receipts and insurance company explanation of benefit forms. It is very important that a copy of the claim form, along with all the afore-mentioned attachments, is kept by the parent submitting the claim. It is also important that the claim or demand is submitted to the person from whom reimbursement is sought by a verifiable method (i.e., certified mail).

If reimbursement is not obtained after submitting a claim as described above, your Dayton divorce lawyer can file a motion for contempt with the Court.

For more information about enforcing Ohio divorce or dissolution decrees, and/or to schedule a free consultation with an experienced attorney, please contact your Dayton divorce law firm or a Dayton family lawyer, at Helen Wallace, Attorney at Law today by clicking on the preceding link, by e-mail to or by telephone to (937) 654-6800.

The contents contained in Helen Wallace, Attorney at Law’s Blog and Web Page(s) are for educational and informational purposes only, and shall not be construed as legal or tax advice. The reading of Helen Wallace, Attorney at Law’s Blog or Webpage does not create an attorney/client relationship with Helen Wallace, Attorney at Law. Please consult an Attorney in your jurisdiction (where you live or where the legal action arose) if you are seeking legal advice or representation. Please further be advised that Helen Wallace, Attorney at Law is a debt relief agency and helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code.

Ratings and Reviews

OSBA Member
KBA Member
The National Advocates