Changing Names Through Divorce

Many women want to get their maiden name, or a previous name, back after a divorce. In order to accomplish this, your Dayton divorce lawyer will request the name change in the intitial divorce proceedings. After the divorce is final, the Court will issue an entry, either separately or as part of the final decree, that restores the party to their maiden name. A certified copy of that Court order can then be used to change the name with the Social Security Administration, the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles, banks, 401k accounts, voter registration, etc.

A name change can occur outside of divorce litigation. For questions or information about your situation, and/or to schedule a free consultation please contact your please contact your Dayton family lawyer at Helen Wallace, Attorney at Law today by clicking on the preceding link, by e-mail to or by telephone to (937) 654-6800.

The contents contained in Helen Wallace, Attorney at Law’s Blog and Web Page(s) are for educational and informational purposes only, and shall not be construed as legal or tax advice. The reading of Helen Wallace, Attorney at Law’s Blog or Webpage does not create an attorney/client relationship with Helen Wallace, Attorney at Law. Please consult an Attorney in your jurisdiction (where you live or where the legal action arose) if you are seeking legal advice or representation. Please further be advised that Helen Wallace, Attorney at Law is a debt relief agency and helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code.

Ratings and Reviews

OSBA Member
KBA Member
The National Advocates